A Process takes inputs and transforms them into outputs, and may be connected to other Processes in process flows.
Design open source and low cost 3D scanning devices for dentistry applications.
NOTE: you need to create specific design processes here (Design electronic, mechanical, optical or other)
This is a high-level design effort to take into consideration a few important elements. Note that these elements maintain important relations and they cannot be considered on an individual basis.
* Ecosystem: A reflection about standards to be used, based on a map of the ecosystem this product will be part of. The goal is interoperability.
* Lifecycle: A reflection about how this product will be used and who it will end its life. Is it modular and used in conjunction with other things (see System)? Is it a "perpetual product" (i.e. the user is able repair and to update/upgrade it) and if so, how easy it is to be updated/upgraded? Will it be possible to recycle parts of the product to be used in other applications once the product becomes obsolete? Is it recyclable? Is this product meant to be shared by a group of individuals during its lifetime?
* Business model: A reflection about how the product is generating value for the community that designs and supports it. Is the value capturing mechanism based on service? Is this a product that is owned or rented? Is the product serviced on site or remotely? Is this product labeled as a sustainable product (local, ethical, environmentally friendly).
* Manufacturing: A reflection about supply chain and fabrication. What are the optical supply chain and parts in order to reduce cost and environmental impact. What the best fabrication technology/method? How important is quality?
* System: a reflection about how the thing will be put together.
* Environment: A reflection the environment in which the product will evolve
* User effects: a reflection about how the product is handled by the user and how the user can affect the integrity of the product
OUTPUT: Design considerations - a file
Desired design characteristics
* Shareable (the sharing economy)
* Modular (perpetual products and customizable) - see this link about a specific effort to define a standard for scientific parts.
* Interoperable (standards)
* Socializable (offer value through social interactions and communities)
See product design philosophy doc
We should always tink larger than the project. There are different dimensions that we can identify.
! Synergy with other SENSORICA projects
! Spinoffs (modules that can take a life of their own)
! Parallel opportunities
! Network building - cohesion, activity level, energy...
! Network of network consolidation - build bridges with other networks