|Quantity||100.00 Area - square meters|
This lab is at Ecole Polytechnique de Montreal.
|Record created date||Feb. 3, 2013|
|Record created by||None|
We don't know.
June 17, 2013
See documentation in this doc
The setup was made before, there is another labnote for it.
June 17, 2013
Continued the work. See the Google doc for more details. Jonathan and Antonio were also involved.
We discovered that the analog out of the Labjack is limited to steps of 0.02Volts. We need 0.002Volts resolution, in order to test below 0.5um piezo steps. Jonathan will make a circuit for this.
July 18, 2013
Continued work on characterization. I am doing long acquisitions for precision tests. These results will be entered in the document in the Precision section.
August 01, 2013
Worked with Bing and Antonio on the Piezo. We have a problem with the assembly of the piezo controller. Jonathan made a new prototype and we tested it and it did not work. Frederic's prototype still works fine. We could not clearly understand why the second prototype did not work. The new boards for the product seam to be fine. So the problem is still a mystery.
August 05, 2013
Recreated the characterization setup, because Jonathan had taken the piezo driver prototype away for the fabrication. I modified the way the fiber is attached to the piezo stack.
August 06, 2913
Resumed characterization experiments. I worked on Precision. See more
The long-term stability problem prevents us from directly measure precision. I put a note in the doc and sent message to the team about it.
"This [long-term stability of the Mosquito] is a problem with the acquisition system and with the Mosquito in general that we need to address! We need to improve the architecture of the Mosquito by integrating a reference, which is divided from the signal to account for intensity fluctuations."
I entered the best data here.
One way around the stability is to measure the difference between 0 Volt and the x Volt, "x" representing an input voltage to the piezo controller, which will result in a motion step.
Data still needs to be processed.
Oct 23, 2013,
tested the 2 axis piezo system, driver and the actuator. Worked with Antonio and Jonathan. Produced the piezo manual
These activies are repeated in order to clarify the procedures of the Low-cost Tape Sensor design. The citations include these steps as well.
Tape sensor - introduction (done)
Tape sensor - gap optimization (IN PROGRESS)
Tape and flex sensor - comparison (IN PROGRESS)
Tape sensor - 3D printing (IN PROGRESS)
Tape sensor - manufacturing (STANDBY)
This is for Ronan
Created a low cost optical tape sensor that can be put on different structures to detect bending.
We'll apply it first on a hockey stick.
See project page
Started on Friday 27, 2012 After we created the prototype and made the demo for Zhu (Canadian Space Agency, beam deflection sensor) we realized that this device works in stretching and compression. I had the idea to create a very simple and low cost tape sensor using 250 um diameter PMMA fiber and kapton tape. The goal of this experiment was to build the first such prototype and test it. See design https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/17Wb68vkZPeV5jz1GJDJG-TXER2Ofy-1wyndfQbkgp10/edit The device was built and successively tested. See the video made with Daniel http://youtu.be/yKvdryt1iKk
04 JUNE 2013
Worked on the setup to fabricate the low cost Tape transducer. I continued in the same direction from where I left it. The device is now almost done, need to take some pictures and document how it works. This is still a prototype device, to produce a few of them in a systematic matter and test them.
I will use the enhanced LED 850nm Mosquito to test it. I need to make a project presentation to SENSORICA about this, in a week.
05 JUNE 2013
Did some mechanical work on the fabrication device. I finally put in place the micrometer screw and 2 springs to move the working plate. It seems to be solid. After this, I shifted my attention to the Y connector for the 250um diameter PMMA fiber. I created a separate labnotes where I marked 7 hours of work on this. The main problem was to create a mold/stamp for PCL, from which I make the connector. The idea is to stamp the Y grove into PCL, place the fibers into the grooves and apply optical clear epoxy to hold the fibers aligned in place. I started with clay, and moved to etching aluminum.
10 JUNE 2013
Produced a new low-cost tape sensor using Francois' design.
11 JUNE 2013
work on the tape sensor presentation
14 JUNE 2013
Created documentation for the low cost tape sensor, adding stuff on the website, and updating the document.
Gave training to Ronan on the Tape Sensor. I also created a labnote for him to collaborate on this project.
16 AUGUST 16, 2013
Worked with Rodrigo on a new tape sensor design. We are trying to implement the idea of optical gearing. See concepts here
One design use a concave lens (perhaps made with PDMS, using rounded lass rod/fiber as mold). See idea here
The other one uses a scattering (+ absorbent) medium within the gap between two fibers, using index matching gel with micron-size particles (silica powder or carbon powder).
See the design for the second choice here.
Rodrigo and I designed an experiment to compere intensity variation with gap between an air gap and a scattering (+absorbent) medium. We are going to create the setup and perform the comparison next week. The deliverable will be a white paper. See idea here.
23 AUGUST 2013
Worked on the low cost tape sensor with Rodrigo, helped him with the optical setup for some exploratory testing of optical gears. We are using 1mm PMMA fiber for these tests. This is in continuation of the previous work.